DAB Digital Radio Sales Approach 60 Million Worldwide
WorldDAB’s latest market report reveals that by the end of Q2 2017 almost 60 million consumer and automotive DAB/DAB+ receivers (58,432,000) had been sold in Europe and Asia Pacific – up from 48 million one year earlier.
Available to download as an infographic here, the WorldDAB report includes statistics on receiver sales, road and population coverage, household penetration and the number of national stations on DAB/DAB+ compared to FM. The report covers Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland and the UK, along with DAB rollout status for emerging markets in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Key findings of the report include:
- Almost 10 million receivers have been sold in Germany (9.9 million) and 15 percent of German households now own at least one DAB receiver.
- Over four million receivers have been sold in Norway (4,130,000) as digital switchover nears completion.
- In Switzerland, over half of all radio listening (57 percent) is via digital platforms – with 32 percent via DAB+.
- In the UK, 60 percent of households have at least one DAB radio with digital listening approaching 50 percent.
- In the Netherlands, 35 percent of new cars are now sold with DAB+, up from 26 percent at the end of 2016.
- Italy, France and Belgium all show positive signs of growth in the last year.
Patrick Hannon, President, WorldDAB, said: “Digital radio has made excellent progress in the last 12 months across all markets, encouraged by strong political commitment, the launch of new services and increased investment from broadcasters and manufacturers. The impact of Norway’s digital switchover, due to complete by the end of this year, is being felt around the world and, with Switzerland starting switchover in 2020, momentum for digital radio continues to build.”
Sources for the infographic include: Digital radio survey by Kantar TNS, Trade Association for consumer electronics, Digitalradio Norway, Norkring AS, GfK, MCDT, Weer GmbH, OFCOM Switzerland, SRG SSR, Media Broadcast, Teracom A/S, Danmarks Radio, Digital Radio NL, RTBF, Norkring Belgium, SMMT/CAP UK, BBC, RAJAR/Ipsos MORI/RSMB, Digitisation report 2017 carried out by TNS Infratest, DAT/VDA report 2017, JATO Dynamics, Glass’s Automotive Business Intelligence and Commercial Radio Australia.