Blackmagic Design Congratulates 2021 Oscar Nominated Films
Blackmagic Design would like to congratulate the 93rd Oscars nominated films and the production professionals who helped bring these films to life. Blackmagic Design is honored that its products, such as DaVinci Resolve Studio and Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, were used on groundbreaking films including ‘Mulan’, ‘Minari’ and ‘News of the World’.
Films nominated that used Blackmagic Design products include nominees from all over the world and in a range of categories such as Best Motion Picture, Best International Feature Film, Best Documentary Feature and Achievement in Visual Effects.
‘Hunger Ward’, nominated in the Best Short Documentary category, used both DaVinci Resolve for color correction and Pocket Cinema Camera 6K for shooting in war torn Yemen. The film was shot inside two of the most active therapeutic feeding centers in Yemen, and documented two female health care workers fighting to thwart the spread of starvation against the backdrop of a forgotten war.
DP of ‘Hunger Ward’ Jeffrey Ball said: “Filming in an active war zone forced us to have to be discreet and efficient, and able to capture at any moment. One of the shots that the camera let us get was of a young girl getting an IV removed at a centre our director was at. The Pocket let him have less of a presence and just shoot without intruding. Shots like that were so important to the story we were trying to tell and the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K worked out great.”
Oscar nominated films that used Blackmagic Design products include:
- ‘Mulan’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by Natasha Leonnet at Company 3.
- ‘Minari’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by David Cole at Fotokem. DP Lachlan Milne ACS, NZCS also used DaVinci Resolve Studio to create LUTs for the film prior to production.
- ‘Another Round’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by Emil Eriksson at Zentropa.
- ‘Hunger Ward’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by John Davidson. Pocket Cinema Camera 6K used to shoot a number of scenes.
- ‘The Mole Agent’ Colorist Ismael Cabrera Echeverría of Filmo Estudios used DaVinci Resolve Studio for final color adjustments and mastering, along with a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G.
- “News of the World’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by Stephen Nakamura of Company 3.
- ‘One and Only Ivan’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by Rob Pizzey of Goldcrest Post Production London.
- ‘Feeling Through’ graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio by Cullen Kelly. and
- ‘Love and Monsters’ DP Lachlan Milne, ACS, NZCS also used DaVinci Resolve Studio to create LUTs for the film prior to production.