Boris FX Sapphire Adds New VFX and Transitions
Boris FX Sapphire gives its user base four major new effects and transitions to add to their Adobe, Avid, and OFX-based workflows. The strong mid-year release (2019.5) is available free to current Sapphire upgrade and support and annual subscription plan members as part of Boris FX’s continued commitment to providing its post-production community with the newest and innovative plug-ins throughout the year.
S_ParallaxStrips is a brand new Sapphire 2019.5 effect and is featured in the popular Distort Unit category, home to many sought-after effects including S_Shake and S_WarpChroma. S_ParallaxStrips is also available as a transition, joining two new dissolves, S_DissolvePixelSort and S_DissolveDigitalDamage, both of which are based on Sapphire’s trendy effects of the same name.
In addition to creative effects, Sapphire 2019.5 includes many time-saving workflow updates. The Effect and Transition Builder, Preset Browser, and Flare Designer now support video clips and feature a new modern streamlined user interface designed for HDPI monitors. Integrated Mocha tracking adds edge-snapping splines to make masking and rotoscoping inside Sapphire faster. The 2019.5 release also adds OFX plug-in support for Autodesk Flame, Flare, and Flame Assist 2020, allowing artists to complete VFX work without leaving Flame.
“We’re delivering substantial value to our Sapphire customers on the Upgrade and Support plan with the 2019.5 update,” says Brian Fox, Director of Product Marketing, Boris FX. “Adding in new effects and transitions like S_ParallaxStrips, redesigning and updating the Effect and Transition Builder, Preset Browser, and Flare Designer, and enhancing the integrated Mocha tracking and masking are the types of improvements that will really be noticeable to artists and editors.”
“As an editor who works on a lot of promos, I’m constantly on the lookout for fun new transition options to make cuts more interesting,” remarks Jon Anderson, Clio award-winning editor. “I already love S_DigitalDamage and S_PixelSort as effects. I can’t wait to start using them as transitions! The addition of these two transitions, plus the S_ParallaxStrips effect and transition, give me four new slick creative options to incorporate into my projects.”
New in Sapphire 2019.5
- S_ParallaxStrips Effect: The ParallaxStrips effect takes any image and divides it into strips separated apart in z space. The floating strips can seamlessly strip apart or form a complete image. Angle, size, speed, z-depth, and many more parameters can be adjusted for custom looks.
- S_ParallaxStrips Transition: The ParallaxStrips transition is based on the effect of the same name. Easily manipulate strips separated in z-space to create unique custom transitions.
- S_DissolvePixelSort Transition: The DissolvePixelSort transition uses the same algorithm as the PixelSort effect and can be used to create modern and popular glitchy transitions.
- S_DissolveDigitalDamage Transition: The DissolveDigitalDamage transition is based on one of Sapphire’s most popular effects. The transition includes the same presets and parameters as the original effect.
- Clip Access for Builder, Flare Designer, and the Preset Browser: External applications can now live preview any resolution clip.
- Updated Look and Feel: Builder, Flare Designer, and the Preset Browser features have been improved with a modern Ul that has been optimised for 4K HDPI monitors.
- Broadcast Monitor Support: External applications (Effect and Transition Builder, Flare Designer) now support output to a third-party broadcast monitor via Blackmagic or AJA cards.
- Flame 2020 OFX Plug-in Support: Sapphire 2019.5 supports Autodesk Flame, Flame Assist, and Flare v2020 or higher. The new OFX plug-in also gives Flame artists access to the powerful Sapphire Effect and Transition Builder workflow for the first time.
- Mocha Edge-Snapping Splines: Integrated Mocha tracking and masking gets a boost from an additional edge-snapping feature that makes isolating Sapphire effects even simpler than before.
Sapphire 2019.5 is available as a plug-in for Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, and OFX hosts Autodesk Flame 2020, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, The Foundry Nuke, VEGAS Pro, and more.