ACMA Releases 2020–21 Research Program
The Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA) has released its research program for 2020–21.
This program provides the strategic context for ACMA research activities for the 2020 to 2021 financial year and is aligned to the ACMA’s Corporate plan 2020–21. Updates to the program will occur as our research requirements evolve in accordance with changing external and organisational priorities.
The program looks at how developments in communications and media will impact the general public and ACMA’s role as a regulator, ensuring it meets its obligations and helps it make regulatory decisions informed by evidence.
The ACMA Corporate plan 2020–21 Corporate Plan identifies the major changes we expect will shape our environment over the next four years. This includes:
- the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the media and communications environment, which will see:
- increased reliance on telecommunications service providers
- increased reliance on digital platforms
- ongoing environmental impacts that require us to remain responsive and adaptable when supporting industry and consumers
- long-term structural changes to traditional media and communications industries in response to competition with digital platforms
- changing consumer behaviour and expectations in response to increasing interconnectivity, mobility and data-sharing
- the impact of digital platforms on the news industry
- the spread of misinformation
- breaches to the privacy of consumers
- foreign interference via social media
- demand for data-driven technologies redefining how individuals and businesses engage with each other
- an increasing need for greater collaboration between international regulators
- international trends driving demand for spectrum. This includes:
- the appetite for wireless broadband, particularly 5G services
- ongoing commercialisation of IoT applications
- advances in broadcasting technology
- rapid innovations in satellite technologies and services.
In this context, the ACMA research program considers how current and future developments in the communications and media landscape will impact public interest outcomes and its regulatory role.
SELF-SERVICE WEB SITE ADVERTISING
Manage your own ads on this web site. For more, click the button below.