Australia’s 5G Spectrum Auction on its Way
The Australian Communications and Media Authority has released critical information for the upcoming auction of spectrum in the 3.6GHz band, recognised internationally as the first band for 5G services.
5G technologies represent the next generation of mobile broadband services, enabling enhanced mobile broadband, large-scale industrial automation and low latency, ‘ultra-reliable’ networks to support critical communications.
“As a key enabler of the digital economy, the 3.6 GHz spectrum will ensure Australia is well-placed to realise the benefits of 5G. Timely release of 5G-compatible spectrum will facilitate the early delivery of next generation 5G services to the Australian public and industry,” said ACMA Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.
“The ACMA has designed an auction process – including starting prices – that aims to maximise efficiency, competitive outcomes and the full utility of this spectrum for 5G,” said Ms O’Loughlin.
Key parameters for the auction announced by the ACMA are:
- Spectrum to be auctioned – 125MHz of spectrum in the 3.6GHz band.
- Lots on offer – 350 lots across 14 regions of Australia.
- Application fee – $10,000 (non-refundable).
- Starting (reserve) price (metro) – $0.08/MHz/pop (excluding Perth lower lots) and $0.053/MHz/pop Perth lower lots.
- Starting (reserve) price (regional) – $0.03/MHz/pop.
- Auction Commencement date – Late November 2018.
- Auction format – Enhanced simultaneous multi-round ascending with software developed by Power Auctions.
The Minister for Communications, Senator the Hon Mitch Fifield, has previously directed the ACMA on the maximum amount of spectrum a single bidder can acquire at auction (60MHz in urban markets and 80MHz in regional areas).
To help bidders prepare for the auction, the ACMA has released an Applicant information package that sets out key auction information. Parties wishing to participate in the auction must lodge their application by the 31st of August 2018.
For more information, please contact: Emma Rossi, Media Manager, (02) 9334 7719, 0434 652 063 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SELF-SERVICE WEB SITE ADVERTISING
Manage your own ads on this web site. For more, click the button below.